Finding and fulfilling the ideal lawyer can appear intimidating, especially for somebody who has never hired an auto lawyer.
So how do you go about finding the best car incident lawyer to handle your case?
- • Begin by speaking with family, friends and co-workers to see if anybody they know was involved in a car crash lawsuit. Ask them about their experience and if they’d recommend their automobile lawyer.
- Review their Web sites for expert advice and a solid track record with cases. Beware of advertising materials and Web sites that contain self-proclaimed endorsements, such as’the best, the top, leading,’ that cannot be supported by fact or verified by recognized third parties.
- • Avoid the Yellow Pages: The very best auto accident Michigan Auto Accident Attorney near me do not need to advertise heavily, they bring in new clients from positive word of mouth or by other attorney referrals.
Once you have identified a few potential auto lawyers, do some research before contacting their offices:
- • Seek third party verification of the law firm and the attorney’s standing by checking legal books, such as Michigan Lawyers Weekly, for any negative or positive publicity about the lawyer or the cases she has handled.
- • Contact the State Bar of Michigan and Martindale-Hubbell, or visit those Web sites to learn whether the attorney is in good position. Martindale-Hubbell’s AV Rating is the greatest for legal ability and ethics, though hardly any Michigan attorneys and law firms are given this high score.
- • The auto accident attorney should be actively involved with Michigan legal associations like the Michigan Association for Justice, the American Association for Justice and the State Bar of Michigan; not only as members but as leaders knowledgeable about the most recent developments in Michigan no-fault insurance and car negligence personal injury legislation.
As soon as you have verified the quality of an auto lawyer, call to set up an initial consultation. Some companies will charge a consultation fee to meet you, but most Michigan car accident attorneys offer free consultations to inform potential clients, without a fee or obligation. Because car accident cases are extremely time-sensitive, you should expect the lawyer to quickly respond to a phone or Internet request instantly.
The initial meeting is very significant in deciding whether an automobile accident attorney or law firm is the ideal match for you. Here are some ideas of questions to ask during the consultation that can help assess whether a particular lawyer are the best match for your case:
- How easy will it be to get in contact with you?
- What client references do you have that can comment on your skills and trustworthiness?
- Who else in the workplace will be working on my situation?
- Are there any fees I might have to pay out of pocket during my case or at the end?
- If my case is missing and no compensation is granted, will I still owe you something for your time and energy? (Generally speaking, automobile attorneys will charge for their services on a contingency fee basis,
where the customer pays the lawyer 33 percent of what the attorney collects in a settlement or if the case goes to trial.)
- Did the auto accident attorney listen well?
- Did the lawyer explain legal topics to me in terms I managed to comprehend?
- Did the auto attorney seem very knowledgeable about Michigan no-fault law and how the law applies to my specific case? Did he have to”research it” and get me back?
- Did the automobile lawyer appear to comprehend my medical injuries and provide to refer me to the finest medical care?
Ultimately, you want to choose the automobile incident attorney that you think will do the best job for you. Even if you decide not to hire a lawyer or file a lawsuit, there is no harm in getting initial advice on measures you can take to instantly protect yourself after having a significant injury by a Michigan automobile accident.